Godfather 4 Is Still A Possibility Says Paramount


Paramount says a fourth Godfather could happen if the right story emerges, but don’t expect Francis Ford Coppola to be involved if it happens.

In a new statement, Paramount says that a fourth Godfather film is a possibility. The buzz around the original trilogy reunited as director Francis Ford Coppola gears up to release a recut of his final Godfather film. The recut, lengthily dubbed Mario Puzo’s The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone, will be released later this month. According to star Diane Keaton, who didn’t like the trilogy’s conclusion, the new ending has dramatically improved the film.

Upon its release in 1990, The Godfather Part III was received poorly compared to the first two films, though it’s hard to live up to what some dub two of the best films of all time. Coppola began working on a recut earlier this year, similar to his Apocalypse Now Redux. The recut is said to reframe the unpopular ending and the entire movie. With a new ending, the hype has come calling, and many wonder about the future of the Godfather franchise.

Continue scrolling to keep reading
Click the button below to start this article in quick view.

Related: How The Godfather Coda Fixes Godfather 3’s Biggest Problem

In a statement to NYT, Paramount says that a fourth Godfather is always a possibility. The studio says that the decision hinges on whether or not the right story comes along. Coppola has teased more films in the past. The director also indicated that he would not be involved if they came to fruition, though. Ultimately, the decision is up to Paramount, as they own the rights to the series. Here’s their full statement:

While there are no imminent plans for another film in the ‘Godfather’ saga, given the enduring power of its legacy it remains a possibility if the right story emerges.

In an era of endless remakes, anything is possible. While it would almost seem blasphemous to some fans to touch what is thought of as one of the most incredible film series of all time, this era in filmmaking has proved that nothing is untouchable. Remakes and reboots are the norms now, for better or worse. There is plenty of material for a fourth Godfather film and plenty of interest in stories about the mob, so it seems almost inevitable that some sequel film or even a miniseries revival will happen, especially when considering the series’s future.

Currently, there are multiple projects in the works centered around the making of The Godfather. With those on the horizon and stars like Oscar Isaac and Jake Gyllenhaal attached, it doesn’t look as if the hype surrounding the original trilogy will die down anytime soon. Paramount could wait to see how those projects are received to greenlight the fourth film officially, but that wouldn’t stop them from slyly developing one in the background while they wait.

More: Why The Godfather Is Better Than Part II

Source: The New York Times

Mystery of DB Cooper HBO film

Mystery of DB Cooper: What The HBO Film Left Out About Richard Floyd McCoy


About The Author



Updated: December 3, 2020 — 7:28 pm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *